Thursday, April 14, 2016

Lower Folding Strut Beam Anchor - Center Panel & foam

Last night I marked and cut out the Center panels for the LFS Beam Anchor build.
I also glued on the foam pieces that I had cut to size and planed down in thickness over this past weekend.

These parts should be ready for further processing this weekend.

I also glued in the UFS G10 tubes and bushings using some milled glass to thicken and strengthen the epoxy before twisting in the bushings.

Cut just slightly over-sized to account for cutting blade kerf.

A mark on the Peel-Ply to ensure I don't get confused with fabric direction

Peeling back the protective layer of Peel-Ply on the sections where the foam will be glued into place.
Note the fabulous results with the Resin Infusion process!

Center plate thickness was supposed to be 3.5mm
I got REALLY close!
:)
Another case of using more material then needed though - the plans call for FOUR layers of Uni-Directional glass.
I ended up using SIX layers with the infusion process and was still slightly short of the thickness required.
But I'm confident that it'll be plenty strong enough.
You can see in my notes there, the first panel was laid out as published in the plans and resulted in a 2.86mm thickness.
I wasn't happy with that and did it all over again - you can also see in the notes where I call out the need for an additional two layers of "D".
One more layer would have been better for the measurement mark, but would have been wholly unnecessary.

Applying a Milled Fiber reinforced Epoxy glue on both the Fiberglass and also the foam side of the mating pieces with a linoleum glue trowel.

After this picture was taken, I put a sheet of MDF on top and weighed it down with a couple pieces of cement and a bag of cement.
Then checked it really close to make sure it would cure in the correct position.

Gluing in the UFS pivot bushings

PeelPly is still applied to the outsides to protect from contamination


I'll have to add it all up when I'm done, but these thick areas near the top of the UFS panels are going to consist of over 100 layers of fiberglass! 
As it sits right here, you are looking at 96 layers!


No comments:

Post a Comment