Monday, April 15, 2013

Inner Beam Mock-Up


Busy weekend, but I did manage to pick up a few things in town and do a bit more work on the inner beam model.

As per the instructions, I put some packing tape onto the Beam Recess mold to prevent the Epoxy from sticking - but after doing so, I can see how this will likely cause some vacuum integrity problems. For the "real" molds, I will go with paint/wax or PVA as a release agent instead of packing tape.

The Upper Folding recess mold is just a scrap piece of 2x8 lumber cut to fit. It is not to scale, but will serve the purposes of this experiment. I did put four coats of epoxy on it to prevent wood moisture, sap & etc from going through my vacuum pump later on.

Beam Recess mold in place
UFS mockup in place


First layer of standard home insulation



















One of my biggest concerns is seeing how the fabric will actually lay into the cavity without all the creases and folds. At this point, I just don't see how this will be possible without several cuts and pleats which I'm trying to avoid if possible. To that end, I will try installing three layers of 12oz instead of two layers of 18oz. since it is quite a bit more pliable.

I will try my best, but I really don't want to fool myself into thinking this part will come out exactly as I'd like it to. For now I am leaving the flanges well over-sized.

No bagging materials have been received from Air-Tech yet. I'll call them later today to see if there is some shipment information or status available. I did order a gallon kit of Epoxy. That should be here later this week. It's really thin, I plan to paint on a thin coat on the outside of the foam to help seal it up.

**************
Update: AirTech samples are scheduled to arrive this Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment