Monday, August 29, 2016

Junk parts...


:(

This past Friday morning, I picked up my Lower Folding Strut Beam Anchors from the shop.
Apparently, I spent a lot of time and money making junk parts...

I was upset about it for a day or so, but there's not much I can do about it.
These parts will not be used in the boat, but I'll be hanging on to them to use as "practice parts" when setting up the router for the next step & etc.

You can clearly see the major problem in the pictures below...
Next time around I'll make the Hi-Density mixture a lot thinner so that it can actually be poured after degassing (like a very thick syrup) instead of being troweled in place as a thicker mixture like these were.

The other issue was the use of a water-jet machine to cut the parts.
The guys did a good job but it was the wrong tool to use to get the blanks sliced up.
I'll have to look around for a different method next time.

Currently I'm thinking of locating someone with a big wet-saw, or maybe even use a diamond tipped bit on my oscillating saw.

(I'll be able to check that method on these junk pieces...)

Anyway, I'm starting from scratch to rebuild these parts.

Huge Voids in Hi-Density Fill

Water Jet cutting is not the correct method to use for these parts.
Notice the concave section of the tubing.

Layup in place for rebuilding these parts.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Dallas,

    Here you can see how I did mine
    http://f32thriller.blogspot.nl/2013/01/last-small-pieces-before-float-frames.html

    Arno

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little air bubbles are no problem, you can always use them for other things, just cut it strait. Maybe you can use it in your bow for the stays there

    ReplyDelete