Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Thanks Arno!

Arno contacted me after that last post and suggested I use a fine toothed saw blade to cut the LFS Beam Anchors next time. So in the shop last night I set up my table saw to see how this might work by re-cutting one of those messed up pieces. As it turns out, just using the the blade I had in there (Standard Ripping Blade) worked just fine! I have some better blades picked out that I'll be ordering later on.

(I just love the community support among builders!)

After confirming this would be "the" method to use, I ended up using the saw to cut the core panels for the next attempt at making these pieces. I also cut the panel I made a while back for the float bow gluing surface.

I did wear a respirator, hearing and eye protection when doing this job since fiberglass dust was all over the place for a while there.

After getting those cut out, I got the router set up to mill down some foam panels to the 5/8" (15.7mm) thickness required. Then ran them through the table saw to get them cut into size.

Since this is my second time doing this job, I learned from the previous attempt to add 1.5" (38mm) to the width of the blank. Doing so allows you to cut off and discard the rough outer edges of the blank while also negating any concern regarding kerf allowance.

The foam is now glued to the core panels and set to cure.
Tonight I should be able to clean up the edges and get the back edge rounded over and sanded smooth. I should also have the replacement G10/FR4 tubing delivered soon.

Everything is going so much smoother this time around...

A nice practice cut


Clean edges, no tear out


Moving on to cutting the core plates for the Lower Folding Strut Beam Anchors


Foam panels milled down, cut to size and prepped for gluing to the core plates 






No comments:

Post a Comment