Friday, September 9, 2016

Rebuilding beam anchors. Trying a new blade

The next step in rebuilding these anchors is attaching the pivot tube to the top of the panels.
The tube has a smaller diameter than the thickness of the panels, so it has to be centered properly.
The instructions show one method of attaching them which involves laying them down flat and using a packing piece to lift the tube off the surface a bit so it sits centered on the panel.

I did do it that way the first time around, but when I checked on them later they had moved around while the epoxy was curing (newbie mistake) forcing me to cut them off and re-glue them.

This time, I wanted to try a different approach which was easier and worked a lot better for me.

Both panels clamped together and set vertically with some pieces of scrap lumber to create a "wall" on either side.

Some spacers set in place to center the tubes and some tape to hold everything in place while the epoxy cured.




In the meantime, I started researching different saw blades for cutting the anchors later on.
I am still a bit surprised at how effective this method was so "Thanks again, Arno!"

I found a blade with diamond tips that was purpose designed to cut cement board and thought this might be the perfect thing to use.


New blade mounted on table saw and set up to do a cut on one of the "junk" pieces from last time.
I wanted to see how this blade would perform before screwing up another set of anchors.


Unbelievable!! The cut was nearly effortless and I had to force myself to SLOW DOWN.
It almost felt like I was cutting through a candy bar

Nice smooth cut, little to no heat build up and not a lot of dust either.
I'm really happy with the results!


After the cut, I removed the blade.
You can see that most of the paint is still intact and it still looks almost new


A bit of paint removed from one of the cutters is all that happened on this cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment