Monday, June 6, 2016

UFS Housings nearing completion

I was supposed to be doing some dirt work this weekend, but we got enough rain to cancel those plans. Instead, I spent some time on the extra two layers of 12oz over the top and the final three layers of 18oz securing the cheek blocks.

I managed to get one of the four UFS housings mostly completed except for some final sanding and clean up. The second one has both cheek blocks completed but needs to cure a little longer before I can start shaping and sanding. The third one has one cheek block done and the last one needs some cleanup before I can proceed with the both cheek blocks.

The UFS housing assembly takes up one page of the build manual. You look at it and think a couple of weekends and you'll be moving on... Yeah, not so much. So far I've got over two months and close to 200 hours invested in them. But they are now close to completion and I'll be glad to move on to other things.

Wet layups. Yuck!

Waiting for cure time so I can clean up the lower edges of the cheek block in preparation for the final three layers of 18oz.

The near UFS has the extra two layers of 12oz over the top while the one in the back is just finally prepped to receive those two layers.

While cleaning up the shop I found this old mock up of a beam mold on a base.
Before tossing it in the fire I wanted to check the angle fit.

This is the last UFS housing. It still needs both cheek blocks done.

No comments:

Post a Comment